The skin modifier work is done, at least for now. I’ve completed my own code review, now the patch is uploaded for and awaiting review from another Blender developer. I’ll bring this up at the Sunday meeting tomorrow to confirm this as a 2.64 target.
A couple quick notes about the final version:
- I’ve noted some people are not happy with node scaling switched from S to CTRL+A, but for now I think it’s the right decision. It’s still up for discussion though, and it’s certainly possible that the code reviewer will have an alternate suggestion.
- The patch does not include wireframe overlay in editmode (although I have already uploaded that patch separately, it has not been reviewed yet.)
- Armature generation now makes nicer bone/vgroup names (e.g. Bone.001 rather than bone fe42bc95)
- The skin modifier now does a remove doubles operation at the end. It has a very small distance threshold, so this only affects some degenerate cases that created very tiny faces.
- The shading combobox has become a checkbox to match the remesh and screw modifiers.
- There’s now an operator to squarify skin vertices (averages the X and Y scales.)
- The documentation has received a few updates.
- I do not intend to add any new features to the skin modifier until 2.64 is released (at earliest.)
The past few days have had quite a flurry of testing and bug reports, thanks to everyone for that :) Also, apologies if I missed any comments, between replies here, emails, G+, and the BA thread it’s possible some notes slipped by me.